Wednesday, January 31, 2007

More people banned, picket lines widen

Okay - this is escalating.

List of the banned: Me, greengrass, and two others (email me at ebren@hotmail.com and you will go on the list).

Those on strike: Offsideintahiti (GG can see the candle), miro, andrewm (possibly others).

I've posted the full talk policy below - but some of the antics from the moderators are beginning to resemble that of a dictator gone bad.

If you treat us like children, we will behave as such.

The moderators and journalists have access to our email addresses, and I know this for a fact.

Once, many moons ago, I posted something on a Paul Doyle thread.

He replied to me, explaining that he recognised his mistake, had changed his article accordingly, and modified my post to reflect this and so as not to make me look silly.

Now - if people are on the verge of being banned could we not have a "yellow card" email? Would that not be common courtesy, especially in light of the fact seani has praised several of those banned/on strike in the past.

Also - if we know WHY people are complaining we can moderate our behaviour accordingly. I'm pretty sure no one is going out to cause offence.

Random bannings don't help. Like Stalinist purges they just seem to result in paranoia, and a jumpy population that doesn't know what's happening and isn't conducive to creating good discussions.

The actual talk policy states there will be a warning before threads are closed down - this is also not being adhered to.

Additionally, and I quote: "We want Guardian Unlimited to be the place on the net where you will always find lively, entertaining and, above all, intelligent discussions. The last thing the net needs is yet another site where any attempt at conversation is drowned out by a few people hurling mindless abuse at each other."

I would add that to delete and ban with no explanation - especially when posts are not obviously "racist, sexist or offensive/threatening language, personal attacks on the writer or other posters, posts that exceed the maximum length, and posts that are off topic [and what does that mean]" is hardly helpful to creating "lively, entertaining and, above all, intelligent discussions".

Any discussion will naturally drift away from the original post - or you would end up with "I thought Rooney's goal was great" posts followed by "I disagree, I think that the build-up play was great, but the goal itself was only very good", which no one wants (and apparently gets you banned).

So that is my request - is it possible to have a "yellow card" email, or an email explanation as to what is causing offence so we can moderate our own behaviour and not be banned?

Cheers,

Ebren

11 Comments:

Blogger kokomo said...

hi guys

posting here to show some solidarity, it seems that gleddining in particular is displaying some pretty 'look at me, the power' behaviour. Unfortunately seani is not rising to the bait of those questions, saying he cannot speak for bazza (which is fair enough i guess).

Anyway, i hope that you all return to the blog, under assumed names (i have my suspicions about a couple of the newer usernames anyway...).

I myself have retired the kokomo shirt as a gesture of solidarity. I have begun posting under an alias though, because, frankly, i enjoy it.

Which is the crux of it isn't it, we all enjoy it, bring enjoyment to lots of other people, and it feels like our enjoyment is being soiled.

Onwards and upwards brothers.

p.s andrewm, if you are on here, what about crouchie's goal last night? Reminded me of pancev vs bayern circa 1991 (for you, miro).

Jan 31, 2007, 1:56:00 AM  
Blogger greengrass said...

Ebren, Kokomo, PW75 and ???,
a mighty gesture, Kokomo! Perhaps we should all don new shirts - we would have the pleasure of getting to know each other anew; as far as I am concerned, it was a great pleasure the first time round.
Maybe this is overstating the case (i.e. my/hour heroic figures), but this nascent Bloggers' Revolt puts me in the mind of Winstanley and the Diggers all those years ago: they occupied the waste land, we
can occupy GU's blogs.
I'm going to go for a bit of Luddite activity when the time is right - not just anttime on any blog, but on the right blog when it's roaring.

Today's the day,
Tonight's the night
To make the shitters
Eat their shite.

Neither bowed nor broken,
GG

Jan 31, 2007, 3:44:00 AM  
Blogger greengrass said...

P.S.
not "anttime", of course, but "anytime"!
GG

Jan 31, 2007, 3:47:00 AM  
Blogger offsideintahiti said...

Sooooooo, this is where the clique hangs out these days? The rejects, the banned and the damned?

*looks around, feels the fabric of the sofa*

Not bad at all, thanks Ebren for putting it up. A bit dark maybe, but that suits the clandestine nature of the gathering, the secret underground network, the resistance. Ooooooo, this is so exciting... and so silly. I love it. Speaking of silly, well done fourturntables and MygrandfathaAndMe for the clique joke on Marcela's thread, I hope you're proud of yourselves.... kids! (*sigh*)

Anyway, it's nice to be able to express oneself with a bit of freedom and without fear of being banned or deleted (actually, Ebren, are you moderating this? I'm getting paranoid) oh, and can we use the F word? Yes? Fabulous.

Thanks also for keeping us updated on the "movement". I must confess I'm getting slightly confused with some of the new identities, fourturntables and MygrandfathaAndMe were obvious enough but who's the Warpster? Is it PW75? And who's Brack? Feels like the place is teeming with mysterious double agents with increasingly sillier handles. Oh, and what's going on with andrew? Is he drowning his sorrows in shandy or is the Modfather preparing his next move?

Finally, hello greengrass, it's nice to read you again. Did you see my pathetic effort at composing a Limerick yesterday? I promise I won't do it again, it was nearly as bad as some of your worst puns. And, predictably, I got told off by octave for getting the meter wrong. So, no more of that. I hope to see you out in the open again soon. And as for doing a Trappist, well, I've always had a tendency for monastic life (which I have managed to fight off very efficiently so far) and these guys, particularly the Belgian trappists, make some of the best beer in the world. So, no worries there.

I have to leave it at that for now, swordfish on the menu (again) but I will return soon.

Take care of yourselves

offside

Jan 31, 2007, 9:13:00 PM  
Blogger greengrass said...

Nice to hear from you on here, Offside; nice to read all the posts from people with a yearning for elementary justice and fair play.
After almost a week I still haven't heard from that "nice" Mr. Ingle: repeated attempts, from me and others, to find out exactly why I was banned have met with zero response.
Glendenning/Ingle = bad cop/good cop, and Glendenning is allowed to get away with personal abuse and sexism - thus making a mockery of GU's talk policy.
This hasn't been a bad week. One thing is, it helps me put blogging in its place - and all these reminders of the fact that there are decent people out there are, of course, invaluable.
Hope that swordfish and cocktails diet is giving you all the vitamins you need for the eternal struggle!
GG

Jan 31, 2007, 10:18:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello, and welcome to our weird world KK and OT.

If you care, I can moderate this - but am far too busy constructing alternate narratives to explain the existance of Gelatinephoenix, EnigmaticName, Warpster, MyGrandfathaAndMe, fourturntables, NiewAmsterdam, and HannibalBrooks (founding father).


Oh - and use the f word as much as you like, one of my friends writes for it....

http://www.thefword.org.uk/

Feb 1, 2007, 12:31:00 AM  
Blogger offsideintahiti said...

Ebren,

no, I was joking about the moderation, save yourself the trouble.

Come on, give us a clue about the new names, I'm lost.

If anyone wants to get in touch with me: olivierrothster@gmail.com

Cheers and have a good day while I have a good night,

offside

Feb 1, 2007, 12:59:00 AM  
Blogger offsideintahiti said...

Ebren,

any chance you could change my blogger display name to "offside"? (Or tell me how to do it, I can't figure it out).

I don't mind that my real first name appears but just so as not to confuse people...

cheers

offside

Feb 1, 2007, 1:04:00 AM  
Blogger guitougoal said...

A short note to let you know how refreshing it feel to be on asshole free territory-thanks to Olivier for showing me the road. I am taking a leave of absence from the infra-political gu blog to join the soldiers of truth...My first visit just to cheer you up, all the best.
Guy Anthome (guyanthome@mac.com)

Feb 1, 2007, 1:36:00 AM  
Blogger kokomo said...

ok, who is guy?

and can you believe i had to use an 'a' instead of an 'er' because 'er' was already taken as a username! ludicrous.

and i know they are oldtimers, but which of you actually are 4tt and niewamsterdam?

Feb 1, 2007, 12:06:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Guy is guitougoal.

I'm still emarassed I thought PW75 was banned when s/he is clearly not.

This confuses me more as I now have no clue who was banned or who Warpster is.

This annoys me more as I was reading and laughing along on the Pleat thread before BG shut things down.

I will preserve the anonymity of bloggers - but they aren't being too subtle.

Linking to thier own posts and all...

Feb 1, 2007, 2:09:00 PM  

<< Home